7 Areas of Interest to Pay Attention to Regarding Potential ICD-10 Changes
It’s Not Too Late to Influence Updates to the ICD-10-CM/PCS Code Sets
There were 39 diagnosis topics and 19 procedures reviewed at the March 2017 ICD-10 Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting. While the full update can be found on the CDC website for diagnosis codes and the CMS website for procedure codes, here’s some areas of interest regarding the potential changes coming to ICD-10-CM/PCS.
1. Two new codes have been proposed related to myocardial infarction; I21.A1 (Myocardial infarction type 2) and I21.A9 (Other myocardial infarction type) reflect MIs type 3, 4a, 4b, 4c and 5.
2. With the implementation of ICD-10-CM, hospitals and health systems have lost the ability to track and analyze outcomes for patients receiving care for post-acute rehabilitative care. New code, Z51.82 (Encounter for rehabilitation services), is being proposed for addition to the ICD-10-CM code set.
3. In an effort to capture the use of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) for health surveillance and research purposes, several new codes have been suggested; 230 – F17.39, T65.231 – T65.234 and Z72.01 – Z72.09.
4. There is a proposal for the creation of distinct ICD-10-PCS codes for oxidized zirconium on polyethylene bearing surfaces in hip and knee arthroplasties to facilitate data capture and quantification of critical outcomes differences. A unique device value for oxidized zirconium on polyethylene devices would allow for clinical comparisons on revision rates of various bearing surfaces.
5. There is a proposal to add the body part value L, Left Ventricle, to table 027, Dilation of Heart and Great Vessels, to more precisely identify procedures to correct left ventricular outflow tract (LVOT) obstruction. Currently, these are reported using the root operations Excision (02B) or Repair (02Q).
6. Under consideration is the creation of a new row in table 02V, Restriction of Heart and Great Vessels, for coding stitch valvuloplasty of the mitral valve performed to restrict blood flow in cases of severe mitral regurgitation. The new row would add the body part value G, Mitral Valve, with all available approach values and device value Z No Device.
7. April 7, 2017 is the deadline for receipt of public comments on proposed new codes discussed at the March 7-8, 2017 ICD-10 Coordination and Maintenance Committee meetings for implementation on October 1, 2017. Procedure comments should be submitted to CMS ICDProcedureCodeRequest@cms.hhs.gov while diagnosis-related comments should be submitted to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention email@example.com.