Access data points for over 3 million supply and device items with VitalKnowledge.

Ask a Rev Cycle Expert: Provider for nebulizer treatments?


Who else, besides a respiratory therapist, would be able to report a nebulizer treatment in a hospital outpatient department?


There are two main components to determining who can provide nebulizer treatments. The clinician must be performing within your state’s scope of practice regulations, facility bylaws, under the plan of care of the physician or qualified healthcare provider (QHP), and under the appropriate level of supervision. When those conditions are met, the person can provide the nebulizer treatment.

Disclaimer: This information was current at the time of its publishing and is designed to provide accurate information in regard to the subject matter covered. Vitalware does not accept any responsibility or liability with regard to any errors, omissions, misuses, or misinterpretation by the reader. It is not intended to take the place of either the written policies or regulations. We encourage you to review the specific regulations and other interpretive materials as necessary. All CPT® codes are trademarked by the American Medical Association (AMA) and all revenue codes are copyrighted by the American Hospital Association (AHA).